THE USE OF PREPOSITIONS IN /ON/TO
A 1.We usually use ‘ IN‘ with spaces :
- in a room / in a building They live in a small room .
- in a garden / in a park The children are playing in the garden .
We are walking in the park .
2. We use ‘IN‘ with bodies of water
- in the water The fish is swimming in the water .
- in the sea /in a river The boat is sailing in the Atlantic Ocean.
3. We use ‘IN‘with lines
- in a row / in a line The students are waiting quietly in a row.
- in a queue
B 1. We use ‘ON‘ with surfaces
- on the ceiling / on the wall / on the floor There are some beautiful carpets on the floor.
- on the table The book is on the table .
2. We use ‘ON’ with small islands I stayed on Maui .
3. We usually use ‘ ON ‘ with directions
- on the left The house is on the left side of the river .
- on the right
- straight on
C 1. We use ‘TO’ with movement from one place to another
- I went to school .
- Did you go to work?
- Let’s go to the shopping mall .
FOR A BETTER UNDERSTANDING REGISTER FOR OUR COURSES